HFS+ file system is the modification of HFS file system, which is also termed as Mac OS extended. It is the default file system from Mac OS 8.X. The major difference between HFS and HFS+ is its way of storing and managing information; HFS+ supports larger files than HFS as it has 32 bit block addresses instead of 16 bit.
HFS+ comes with lot of enhancements than its predecessor such as Unicode for naming files and folders, size has been increased up to 16TB, journal feature, file system compression mechanism, 32 bit allocation map table, journal feature, address of 4,294,967,296 allocation units allowed in Mac which helps to save significant amount of space. However, these advancements won’t help to overcome data loss situations in HFS+ partition. Obviously, question arises! How to recover data from HFS+ drive after a major loss? Prior to recovery process lets study the reasons for data loss from HFS+ drive.
Situation leading to data loss from HFS+ partition
- Human errors: Most common reason for losing data from HFS+ partition are due to human blunders like deletion of files, emptying Trash, formatting the HFS+ volume, etc.
- Header corruption: The volume header of the Mac contains details like allocation block size, date and time of volume creation, volume size, volume location, etc. If it gets corrupted due to any reason the complete HFS+ volume will become inaccessible.
- Catalog file corruption: Catalog file consists of records of every file & directories present in the volume, if the catalog file gets corrupted you will lose access to files and directories in the Mac volume.
- Power surge: Power fluctuations will result in improper shutdown of the system, this may cause bad sectors in hard drive, and this can also cause operating system crash.
- Virus attack: Virus infiltration on the system is another common cause that will lead to deletion of files from HFS+ partitions.
There are various such instances leading to data loss from HFS+ volume. In all such cases the primary focus revolves around how to recover data from HFS+ drive? If you are encountering data loss situations due to any of the mentioned scenario, there is no need to panic, as you can avail the services of Hard Drive Recovery Utility to get back files lost or deleted from HFS+ drive.
Hard Drive Recovery Utility is an advanced tool that helps to recover data from HFS+ drive by scanning the entire hard drive. The advanced scanning algorithms helps in faster recovery of lost or deleted files from HFS+ drive. The utility has the potential to retrieve photos, audios, videos, documents, etc of almost all major file formats. With the help of this tool you can efficiently recover formatted or reformatted HFS+ drive.
Major features of Hard Drive Recovery Utility:
- The highly efficient graphical user interface makes it extremely easy for the user to recover data from HFS+ drive.
- Using this application user can effectively retrieve deleted or lost files from HFS+ drive on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), etc.
- The software is extremely efficient in recovering data from dead hard drive by connecting it externally on Mac computers.
- Apart from recovering data from HFS+ drive, this tool can also be employed to recover HFS, HFS5, NTFS and other drives.
- User can save the recovery session to resume the recovery process in case he/she had to halt the recovery process for some reason.
- Application can also be used to recover corrupted partition from external hard disk, SSD hard drive and other storage devices on Mac PC's.
- Hard Drive Recovery Utility demo versioncan be used by the users to test the performance of this tool. All features except the save option is made available.
Steps to recover lost or deleted data from HFS+ drive:
Step1: First download this software into a healthy computer. Then run this software and select "Recover Volumes/Drives" option from the main window.
Step2: Now list of drives will be displayed on the next screen, you should select your HFS+ drive and then click on "Next" option to start hard drive data recovery from the selected volume or drive.
Step3: Finally, it will display a list of recovered files in its interface and you can select the data you want to restore from it using "File Type View"option. If you are satisfied with the files available in the recovered list, you will be able to save them by registering the software.